Ventrilo Normaliztion and Bindings

Ventrilo Normaliztion and Bindings

Postby Digitalis » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:12 am

Ventrilo Normalization

Are you sick of some people's voices screaming in your ear, while the person you actually want to hear comes in at a whisper level? Then Ventrilo Normalization is for you!

In Ventrilo, hit your Setup button.
In the top right corner, make sure you have Use Direct Sound checked, then hit the SFX button.

Select Compressor and click Add.

The following settings are those suggested by Thrux of Darkspear who (I believe) made the original post on normalization

Gain = Adjust for how loud you want people to be. (I use 15)
Attack = 0.01
Release = Around 500
Threshold = Around -30
Ratio = 100
Pre delay = 4.0

This will try to bring every voice to a constant volume level :)

Bindings

Bindings provide a way for you to only transmit to certain users or groups when you hit a key you define.

To start, in Vent, under the User Name and Server lines, you will see a line called Bindings. Click the -> to the right of that line.

In the new window that pops up, hit New and choose a name for this set of bindings (i.e. Raid Binds) and hit OK.

User-to-Channel Bindings

Excessive vent chatter is always a problem in raids. People talking over each other, different teams trying to communicate different information etc. With clever use of Ventrilo bindings, one can communicate only with their team (i.e Healers, Interrupters, Tanks)

One way to deal with this is User-to-Channel bindings.

First you need an empty channel for your team.
Right-click on the channel name and select Miscellaneous -> Add/Remove Phantom. This will put a listener into that channel while you actually stay in the main raid channel. The other members of your sub-team should also put phantoms into this channel.

Now, for the bindings part.
Select the set of bindings you wish to modify from the Bindings drop-down, then hit the -> to the right of it.
Now hit the Add button at the bottom left of that screen.

From the radio buttons in the next window, select PTT Advanced.

Choose a different hotkey from your normal Push-to-Talk key that will activate your transmitting for this bind, then click OK.

Set the radio button to Channel By Name, then press the ... button under Channel Name(s) and select the channel you wish to transmit to
(in this case, it would be the team channel into which you put your phantom)

Now, when you are in vent and hit the hotkey you selected for that bind,
your voice will only be transmitted to the channel you selected, where others of your team also have phantoms.

This allows you to talk freely among members of your team without cluttering the vent chat of the entire raid :)

User-To-User Bindings

To communicate specifically with a subset of the users currently connected to vent (i.e your friend(s), lover(s?) :P) regardless of which channel they are currently in:

Select the set of bindings you wish to modify from the Bindings drop-down, then hit the -> to the right of it.
Now hit the Add button at the bottom left of that screen.

From the radio buttons in the next window, select PTT Advanced.

Choose a different hotkey from your normal Push-to-Talk key that will activate your transmitting for this bind, then click OK.

Set the radio button to User-to-User (U2U)

Click the ... button to the right of the Users Login name(s) and select the users you wish to transmit to and click Add. Then hit OK.

Now when you hit that previously selected key, your voice will only be transmitted to the users you selected.

Courtesy of the things I do when my ISP f's me out of raiding :)
Digitalis

Class: Shaman

Return to Interface and Macros